Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Email that brought Hugo Boss 87% more Facebook friends in 1 day

Building on my last post, I wanted to share with you a good example on how a fashion company attracts customers to join their Facebook fan site. Hugo Boss used a direct marketing method and increased its fan base from around 2,300 fans to more than 4,300 fans within a day, which is an increase of more than 85%! I don't know how large Hugo Boss' email list was, but I think it is still a large jump within a day. And this is how it looked like:


In my view this was a great method as it was only sent out to people who have agreed to receive the Hugo Boss newsletter. Therefore, it was not considered as spam. It was very personal (“meet new Hugo Boss friends”) and well targeted. If I had received this email, I would have felt honored to receive a personal invitation from Hugo Boss. The company did a great job in creating a user-friendly email that is clearly showing the contact details as well as links to online store and store locator.
One could argue that Hugo Boss is only targeting already convinced customers. I think, however, that people might forward this email to their friends (using the link “tell a friend”), who have not been in Hugo Boss’ database. Overall, a good execution of combining direct marketing with social media.

2 comments:

  1. Guess I wouldn't feel 'honored' to receive a personalised ad from Hugo Boss ;). Nevertheless, I really like to read your blog. Very informative and interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! I'm happy you enjoy reading my blog!!

    I was a little bit exaggerating with the word ‘honored’ in order to clarify my point. But could it also be that you're not Hugo Boss' target customer ;)?

    ReplyDelete